Cooking time: 30-35 mins.
Preparation time: 30 mins.
Main cooking utensil: saucepan
For 4-8 people you need:
⅔ cup shredded coconut
1¼ cups boiling water
1 medium apple
¼ cup butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon curry powder
3 tablespoons tomato paste
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon salt
2½ cups shrimp
6-8 hard cooked eggs
Boiled rice, yogurt, cucumber, diced potato, green sweet pepper, paprika, tomato, onion rings, peanuts, bananas, lemon juice
- Pour boiling water over coconut, leave until cold, then strain. Reserve liquid.
- Chop and fry peeled onion and apple in the butter until golden.
- Add flour and curry powder and cook gently for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, gradually blend in liquid.
- Cook, stirring, until sauce comes to boil and thickens, then add tomato paste, lemon juice, molasses, and seasoning.
- Cover pan, simmer gently for 10-15 minutes.
- Add peeled shrimp and halved, shelled eggs.
- Heat for a further 5-10 minutes.
TO SERVE: With boiled rice and side dishes of yogurt with fresh cucumber, diced potato, chopped green pepper sprinkled with paprika, sliced tomato with onion rings, peanuts, bananas sprinkled with lemon juice.
Serves 4 as a main dish, 8 as hors d’oeuvre.
Printed in Canada. ©️ Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967