Cooking time: few mins.
Preparation time: 25 mins.
Main cooking utensil: saucepan
For 4 people you need:
1 beef bouillon cube
1 5-oz. can tomato juice
2 cups water
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
½ green sweet pepper
3 tablespoons corn oil
3 tablespoons white or wine vinegar
small lemon slices
- Heat bouillon cube, tomato juice, and most of water. Soften gelatin in remaining cold water, add to stock mixture, heat until gelatin is dissolved.
- Put in cool place to stiffen slightly.
- Meanwhile peel and chop tomatoes; remove core and seeds from pepper and chop very finely; peel cucumber, remove seeds and dice very finely.
- Pour the corn oil and vinegar over the vegetables, season lightly, then leave to stand.
- Blend the tomato mixture and prepared vegetables, leave to set.
TO SERVE: Break up the soup with a fork, put into chilled glasses, and garnish with lemon.
TO VARY: Classic gazpacho: Blend 1 lb. skinned tomatoes, 1 peeled, de-seeded diced cucumber, 1 finely chopped onion, 1-2 crushed garlic cloves – either sieve or blend until smooth. Add finely diced de-seeded green pepper, gradually beat in seasoning, a little olive oil, lemon juice, and enough ice-cold water to give flowing consistency. Serve cold.
PRINTED IN CANADA © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 167
Hmm, not sure about this one! The glasses are cute though.