Preparation time: 30 min.
Simmering time: 1 hr.
This classic method for preparing boneless breast of veal is even better with economical turkey breast. Vermouth in the braising liquid adds zest because it is flavored with aromatic herbs.
For 4 servings you will need:
1 boneless half turkey breast, 2 to 2 ½ lbs.
3 long, thin carrots, pared
¼ lb. fresh spinach
¼ lb. ground pork
1 tsp. mixed Italian herbs
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. olive or salad oil
⅔ cup dry vermouth or chicken broth
1 can (16 oz.) diced or puréed tomatoes
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
¼ cup each green and black olives, optional
Grated orange rind and sliced fresh oranges for garnish, optional
Tips: This dish can be made ahead. Allow meat to rest 20 to 30 min. after cooking for easier slicing. When sliced crosswise, the colorful filling makes an attractive serving.
- Remove skin and bone from turkey breast. Make a horizontal cut through meat to butterfly it. Open up. Place cut side down between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with flat mallet until about 12-inches square.
- Parboil carrots. Cooked washed spinach 1 min. Set aside.
- Mix pork with Italian herbs, ½ tsp. of the salt, egg and Parmesan cheese. Spread over turkey. Cover with even layer of spinach. Top with carrots. Roll meat up, jelly-roll fashion. Tie to fasten.
- Heat oil in deep, heavy pot. Add meat. Brown on all sides. Add onion, vermouth, tomatoes, remaining salt and basil. Cover and simmer 1 hr. Remove meat. Cook juices down until thickened. Add olives, if used.
- Remove strings from roast. Pour sauce over. Garnish with grated orange rind and surround with sliced oranges, if desired. Slice meat cross-wise to serve. Serve hot or chilled.
Good served with: Mushroom salad and French bread.
© MCMLXXIV MY GREAT RECIPES. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PRINTED IN HOLLAND.