Preparation time: 15 min.
Marinating time: 2 to 24 hrs.
Baking time: about 1 hr.
Oven temperature: 350°F
Herb, wine and garlic flavors permeate the flesh of this chicken during the time it marinates. It bakes for crusty-skinned, juicy, savory perfection, along with whole bananas, baked unpeeled.
For 4 servings you will need:
1 broiler-fryer, halved, about 3 to 3 ½ lbs
⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
½ cup olive or salad oil
⅓ cup dry white wine
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. crushed dried rosemary
½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 clove garlic
4 large, firm bananas
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
Tips: Select bananas that are ripe but not overripe for this dish. When baked, they become vegetable-like and a delicious flavor, a perfect accompaniment to the chicken.
Good served with: Green rice, tossed salad, chilled white table wine, if you like.
For 2 servings:
Use chicken pieces or a halved Cornish game hen. Use the same amount of marinade.
For 8 servings:
Double the ingredients.
- Wash and dry chicken. Place in glass or stainless flat dish. Make a tunnel between skin and flesh above chicken breast and thigh meat.
- Mix lemon juice, oil, wine, salt, rosemary, black pepper and garlic. Pour mixture into tunnels. Place chicken skin side down and drizzle more marinade on bone side. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Line broiler pan, minus rack, or any large baking dish with foil. Place chicken, skin side up, on foil. Pour marinade over.
- Brush washed bananas with butter to coat thoroughly. Place on pan with chicken. Bake at 350°F for about 1 hr. or until chicken juices run clear when piereced with for and bananas are black and shiny.
- To serve, cut chicken into quarters. Serve each with a black banana. Diners slit bananas lengthwise to scoop them out.
© MCMLXXXIV MY GREAT RECIPES, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PRINTED IN HOLLAND