Cooking time: 2 hours
Preparation time: 25 mins.
Cooking utensil: covered casserole
Oven temperature: 325-350°F
Oven position: center
For 4 people you need:
3/4 cup cashew nuts or walnuts
1/4 cup butter
2 medium slices bread
1 chopped apple
1 chopped stalk celery
2/3 cup chopped uncooked prunes
1 tablespoon chopped onion
juice of 1/2-1 lemon
4 large slices beef round
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 lb. onions
1/2 lb. carrots
2/3 cup prunes
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups stock
salt and pepper
1. Fry nuts in hot butter until golden, take out of pan.
2. Remove crusts from bread, dice, add the apple, celery, prunes, and onion, fry until golden colored.
3. Season well, add lemon juice, bind with egg. Add nuts; blend well.
4. Beat steak out as thinly as possible.
5. Use as 4 large or 8 smaller pieces.
6. Put stuffing on meat, roll firmly, skewer or tie with cotton.
7. Fry for 2-3 minutes in hot fat, lift into casserole. Fry diced vegetables for few minutes, add to meat in casserole with the prunes.
8. Stir flour into any fat remaining in pan, cook for 2-3 minutes, gradually add liquid, stirring well.
9. Bring to boil, cook until a smooth sauce, season. Pour over meat, vegetables, and prunes, cover casserole and cook until tender.
TO SERVE: Remove skewers or cotton. Serve olives in casserole or on a hot serving dish topped with parsley.
TO VARY: Thinly sliced veal or lamb could be used.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967