Preparation time: 20 to 30 min.
A creamy spinach filling adds to the flavor and appearance of this deviled egg recipe. Using a decorating pastry bag to pipe the yolk mixture make them especially pretty.
For 12 deviled egg halves you will need:
6 large eggs, hard-cooked
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen spinach
1 Tbsp. sour cream
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash each nutmeg and cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tsp. prepared mustard
Salt to taste
1. Peel the eggs and cut into halves. Remove yolks to small bowl. Set aside.
2. Cook frozen spinach as directed. Drain thoroughly, pressing out excess water.
3. Place spinach in blender or processor with sour cream, salt, nutmeg and cayenne. Purée. (Mixture will be a little dry, so scrape down sides of bowl and start up 2 or 3 times.) Spoon mixture into a bowl. Set aside.
4. Use a fork or blender to mash the yolks with mayonnaise, mustard and salt.
5. Spoon spinach mixture into each egg half. With a decorating bag, pipe yolk mixture over top or use a fork. Sprinkle each egg half with paprika before serving.
Good served with: Black olives, cherry tomatoes or carrot curls.
©MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.