Cooking time: few mins. only
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main utensils: quart casserole, spring form pan or mold
For 4-6 people you need:
1 1/2 tablespoons gelatin
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 lb. cooked carrots, sliced
sprigs of parsley
8 slices cold roast beef
1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
1. Soak the gelatin in 1/4 cup of the water. Then dissolve it in remaining hot water.
2. Flavor the gelatin with Worcestershire sauce.
3. Spoon a 1/4-inch layer of gelatin in base of casserole. All to set.
4. Pour 3 tablespoons of remaining gelatin onto saucer.
5. Dip each carrot slice in this gelatin and arrange a border on base of casserole.
6. Dip a few parsley sprigs in gelatin and place in center of garnish. Allow to set.
7. Pour 3/4-inch layer of gelatin on garnish and allow to set.
8 Season sliced beef, add thyme.
9 Cut into small pieces and dip in the reserved gelatin.
10. Place some of the beef in casserole, allow to set, continue like this until all the gelatin etc. has been used.
TO SERVE: Allow to set, turn out and serve garnished with parsley and with a green salad.
TO STORE: In the refrigerator.
Printed in Canada ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967