Cinnamon Swirl Oat Loaf
Sour cream adds richness, flavor and texture to this bread flecked with the color of uncooked rolled oats and unprocessed bran flakes. A swirl of fragrant cinnamon flavors every slice.
For 2 loaves you will need:
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 cup water (105°F to 115°F)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
1 cup uncooked quick rolled oats
1/2 cup unprocessed bran flakes
4 to 4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water; add sugar, salt and sour cream. Let stand 5 minutes until yeast begins to foam.
2. Add rolled oats, bran flakes and flour, 1 cup at a a time beating with wooden spoon to keep mixture smooth.
3. When dough is stiff, cover and let stand 15 minutes. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead 10 minutes until springy.
4. Turn dough into lightly buttered bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. Turn out onto lightly oiled surface and divide into two parts. Roll or pat out each part to make a rectangle about 12-by-8 inches. Sprinkle each rectangle with 1 tsp. of the cinnamon.
6. Roll each rectangle up, squeezing out air bubbles into shape loaves. Place in greased loaf pans.
7. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on rack.
Tips: Serve the bread with either honey or butter.
©MCMLXXXV My Great Recipes ® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PRINTED IN HOLLAND