1/4 cup chopped celery
1 small onion, quartered
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (2 /12-3-lb) broiler-fryer, cut in serving pieces
Salad oil for frying
1 1/2 cups sifted* all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoon salad oil
1. In large skillet, combine celery, onion, bay leaf, salt and 1 cup water. Add chicken pieces.
2. Bring to boiling; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Drain chicken pieces; pat dry with paper towels and let cool.
3. In deep-fat fryer or deep skillet, slowly heat oil (at least 2 inches deep) to 375F on deep-frying thermometer. Also, preheat oven to 300F.
4. Meanwhile make Batter: Sift flour with baking powder, salt, and pepper; set aside.
5. In medium bowl, with rotary beater, beat eggs, milk and oil until combined.
6. Add flour mixture gradually, beating until smooth.
7. Dip chicken pieces in batter, coating evently.
8. Deep fry a few pieces at a time, turning occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and tender; drain well on paper towels. Keep browned pieces warm in shallow pan in oven while rest of chicken cooks.
Makes 4 servings.
*Sift before measuring.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.