This savor meatloaf shaped around a whole cauliflower, giving you meat and vegetable all in one casserole. You might place potatoes in the same oven to bake along with the meatloaf.
For 4 servings you will need:
1 small cauliflower (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/4 cup catsup or chili sauce
1/3 cup soft bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 lb. lean ground beef
Tips: A straight-sided soufflé dish, glass or ceramic, is the ideal baking dish for this meatloaf.
For 2 servings:
Half of the ingredients. Use 1/2 head of cauliflower.
For 8 servings:
Double the ingredients. Bake 2 meatloaves.
1. Rinse cauliflower. Remove and discard leaves and lower part of core. Place, stem end down, in 1 inch of boiling salted water in a deep pan.
2. Cover and steam for 5 min. Drain. Place in greased, deep 1 1/4 to 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
3. Cook onion in heated butter until lightly browned. Remove from heat.
4. Beat egg in a medium bowl. Mix in catsup, bread crumbs, garlic salt, and pepper. Then lightly mix in onion mixture and ground beef.
5. Mold ground beef mixture evenly around sides and top of cauliflower.
6. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 to 50 min. or until meat is well browned and cauliflower is tender when a knife is inserted to test it.
7. Let stand 5 min., then cut in wedges to serve.
Good served with: Baked potatoes and lettuce and tomato salad.
© MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.