Rich Chocolate Cake
Cooking time: 1 1/4 hours
Preparation time: 40 mins.
Main cooking utensils: 8-in. spring form pan, sauce pan.
Oven temperature: 350-375°F
Oven position: Center
For 12-16 servings you need:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour sifted with 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup butter
2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
juice and grated rind of 1 orange
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1. Cream together butter, sugar and molasses until soft and light.
2. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little sifted flour if the mixture shows signs of curdling.
3. Fold in sifted flour and cocoa.
4. Put into greased and floured or lined pan and bake for time given.
5. Test to see if cooked by pressing firmly on top, allow to cool.
6. Cream butter and confectioners’ sugar with the orange juice and rind, then split cake into 3 layers and sandwich with the orange cream.
7. Coat cake with apricot jam.
8. Heat milk and butter until nearly boiling, remove from heat, add the chocolate pieces, stir until melted.
9. Pour chocolate over cake, set for a few minutes, then coat sides with grated chocolate.
TO STORE: This cake keeps well for several days.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967