Cooking time: 1 hour
Preparation time: 40 mins.
Main Cooking Utensil: 9-in ring mold or tube pan
Oven temperature: as Card 8*
Oven position: ditto
For 12-16 servings you need:
See Card 8
Crème de menthe icing:
2 egg whites
3 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2-3 tablespoons crème de menthe
1. Make the cake as Card 8 but bake for only 1 hour.
2. Beat the egg whites with the sifted confectioners’ sugar, then gradually be in the crème de menthe.
3. Spread over the cake with a wetted palette knife, keeping a rather rough appearance.
4. Press the candied cherries and walnuts in position.
TO SERVE: Cut in slices.
TO VARY: Instead of this rather rich moist chocolate cake, a lighter cake may be made. Cream1 cup margarine or butter with 1 cup sugar, gradually be in 4 eggs, fold in 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour sifted with 1/3 cup cocoa powder and 2 teaspoons double acting baking powder. Bake for approximately 50 minutes in the center of a 375°F oven.
TO STORE: This moist chocolate cake keeps well for some days. Ice as soon as cool-this helps keep it fresh.
* When baking always check oven temperature with that recommended in your cooker instruction card or book.
Printed in Canada © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967