Cooking time: 20-30 mins.
Preparation time: 10 mins.
Main cooking utensil: 1-quart ovenproof dish
Oven temperature: 325-350°F.
Oven position: just above center
For 4 servings you need:
about 4 cups potato chips
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup flour
7 1/2 oz can salmon
10 1/2 oz can condensed tomato sopu
1/3 cup cooked peas
1. Crush potato chips by gentle pressure with the fingers.
2. Rub butter into flour and add crushed potato chips
3. Flake the salmon, blend with soup and peas.
4. Season to taste.
5. Turn into dish, sprinkle the potato chip mixture over top.
6. Bake until heated through.
TO SERVE: As an hors d’oeuvre or light snack.
TO VARY: Add cooked white fish to the soup instead of salmon.
TO STORE: Serve as soon as possible after cooking.
Salmon au gratin: Put flaked salmon mixed with a little thick sauce into scallop shells or individual dishes. Top with a layer of crumbled potato chips, grated cheese, and a little cayenne pepper. Put under the broiler for a few minutes until the topping is hot. Alternatively, add a little curry powder to the sauce and omit the cheese for the topping- use just the potato chips.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967