Plaice and Cucumber Rolls
Cooking time: 20 mins.
Preparation time: 20 mins.
Main cooking utensils: ovenproof dish with lid, saucepan
Oven temperature: 375°F.
Oven position: center
For 4 people you need:
8 medium-sized plaice or flounder fillets
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup chopped cucumber
about 1/4 cup chopped sweet dill pickle
about 1/4 cup chopped capers
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk
2/3 cup dry white wine
prawns or shrimp
1. Put the fillets onto a pastry board.
2. Squeeze a little lemon juice over each fillet.
3. Mix cucumber, sweet dill pickle, capers, vinegar, rest of lemon juice, and seasoning together.
4. Roll fillets with cucumber mixture inside, lift carefully into greased baking dish.
5. Cover with lid or foil, bake until tender.
6. Make sauce by heating butter in pan.
7. Stir in flour, away from heat, cook roux over low heat for 3 minutes.
8. Gradually stir in cold milk, seasoning and wine.
9. Bring to boil, cook until thickened.
10. Lift fish rolls onto hot serving dish. Spook a little of the sauce over each, serve remainder in a sauceboat.
11. Garnish with prawns or shrimp, and watercress.
TO SERVE: Hot, as above, or cold with mayonnaise.
TO VARY: Use fillets of sole or whiting.
TO STORE: For a limited time only, covered in the refrigerator.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967