Cheese Scotch Eggs and Cheese And Date Pasties
Cooking time: 10-15 mins
Preparation time: each about 20 mins.
Main cooking utensils: saucepan, deep fat pan, 2 1/2- 3-in. cutter, baking sheet
Oven temperature: 475°F.
Oven position: above center
To make 4 Scotch eggs:
6 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1-3 tablespoons milk
Crips bread crumbs
fat for frying
To make 12 Pasties:
1/4 lb. frozen puff pastry
18 dates, chopped
1 cup grated cheese
Cheese Scotch Eggs:
1. Hard-cook the eggs, then shell.
2. Mix the flour with the finely grated cheese and all of the other ingredients except the crisp bread crumbs.
3. Use just enough milk to bind the mixture.
4. Divide this into four and roll each portion around an egg with damp fingers.
5. Coat evenly in the bread crumbs.
6. Fry in hot fat for approximately 2 minutes – do not overcook.
7. Drain on paper towels.
1. Roll out the pastry and cut into 12 rounds.
2. Mix dates, grated cheese and nutmeg together, and place a little on each round.
3. Damp edges of pastry and bring to center, pinching firmly.
4. Place on baking sheet with joins underneath, make 3 slashes across the top of each pastry, and brush with water; bake until crisp and brown.
TO SERVE: With salad; cheese and date pasties may also be served as a dessert.
Printed in Canada ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967