Cooking time: 1 hour
Preparation time: 20 mins.
Main cooking utensil: 7-in. spring form pan
Oven temperature: 375-400°F
Oven position: center
For 8 servings you need:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup margarine or lard
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg (optional)
2 medium dessert apples
milk to mix
little brow sugar(optional)
1. Sift flour and baking powder.
2. Rub in margarine or lard until the mixture is like fine bread crumbs.
3. Add the sugar and the egg if used.
4. Peel the apples, cut into neat dice, add to the cake, and mix well.
5. Stir in enough milk to give a slow dropping consistency, i.e. the spoon needs a hard shake before mixture drops back into the bowl.
6. Put into the greased pan.
7. Bake for 1 hour at 375-400°F or until firm to the touch; if the outside is browning too much reduce the heat slightly.
8. Turn out carefully, top with sugar.
TO SERVE: This is an ideal cake for a picnic for it carries well. It is not over sweet and it has a moist texture.
TO VARY: Add a little spice and currants.
TO STORE: Should be eaten fresh.
Printed in Canada ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967