1 cup dried white navy beans (Great Northern)
1 small head cabbage, sliced
3 carrots, pared and diced
2 white turnips, pared and diced
1 can (1 lb) Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon olive or salad oil
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 large tomato, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup broke up thin spaghetti
Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Day before serving: In medium bowl, cover beans with cold water. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
2. Next day: Drain beans. Turn into 5-quart Dutch oven or kettle with 3 quarts water and 2 teaspoons salt.
3. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, and simmer very gently, covered, 1 hour.
4. Add cabbage, carrots, turnips, and canned tomatoes. Cover and continue to cook 1/2 hour longer.
5. Meanwhile, in hot oil and butter in medium skillet, sauté sliced onion until tender and golden – about 5 minutes.
6. Add chopped tomato, celery, parsley, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; cook slowly, 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add to bean mixture along with spaghetti. Cover; cook slowly, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Serve soup, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 10 servings; 2 1/2 quarts.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.