Mixed Fruit Flan
Cooking time: 20-25 mins.
Preparation time: 25 mins.
Main cooking utensils: 7- to 8-in. fluted flan ring and baking sheet, or pie pan, saucepan
Oven temperature: 425°F.
Oven position: center
For 6 servings you need:
Economical short crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon sugar
1 egg yolk, cold water
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups water
1-1 1/2 lb. fruit*
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1 1/2 cups plum juice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
red food coloring
1 envelope gelatin
1 tablespoon cold water
* Use 2 kinds of plums or apricots and cherries
1. Sift flour and cornstarch together.
2. Rub in butter,add sugar, and mix to a soft dough with egg yolk and water.
3. Roll out and line the flan ring or pie pan
4. Bake blind for 15-20 minutes (see card 9)
5. Lift off flan ring if used, return pie shell to oven for a few minutes to brown.
6. Put sugar and water into a pan, stir until sugar dissolves.
7. Add fruit, cook gently until tender but unbroken, lift from syrup, cool.
8. Put well drained fruit and almonds in pie shell.
9. Strain and measure 1 1/4 cups of the juice, put in pan with lemon juice add few drops food coloring to give attractive color.
10. Soften gelatin in a little cold water, then dissolve in the hot juice. Cool.
11. When starting to set, spoon over the fruit.
TO SERVE: Cold with cream.
TO VARY: Glaze with apricot jam.
Printed in Canada © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967