Cooking time: 20-25 mins
Preparation time: 25 mins
Main cooking utensils: 7- to 8-in. fluted flan ring and baking sheet, or pie pan
Oven temperature: 425°F.
Oven position: center
For 6 servings you need:
Sweet short crust:
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 egg yolk
fresh gooseberries or fruit as Card 11, with glaze or can fruit pie filling
1. Cream the butter and sugar until really soft and light.
2. Add the flour and work together with a spatula.
3. Stir in the egg yolk and sufficient water to make a rolling consistency
4. Roll out on a lightly floured board
5. Fit into the ring or pan. The easiest way to do this is to support the dough over the rolling pin. Press dough down firmly.
6. To trim the edge, cut away surplus dough with a knife or roll the rolling pin over the top, which automatically cuts away the extra without stretching or pulling the crust.
7. Put crusts of bread or dried beans on greased wax paper to prevent bottom from rising. Remove after 15-20 minus, at the same time lifting off the flan ring, if used, to encourage browning. Bake for time and temperature given until crisp and golden brown. Follow directions on Card 11 for filling.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967