Preparation time: 15 min.
Rising time: about 1 1/4 hrs.
Baking time: 12 to 15 min.
Oven temperature: 400°F
These attractive little breads are actually rich rolls. The Mennonites traditionally serve them at weddings, usually accompanied by cheese and coffee.
For 18 buns you will need:
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 to 4 cups unbleached flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
Tips: If you wish you can brush rolls with mixture of egg yolk mixed with 1 Tbsp. water before baking.
1. In large bowl, mix yeast, sugar, salt and 1 1/2 cups of the flour.
2. In saucepan, combine milk, water, and butter. Heat until very warm – 105°F to 115°F (butter need not melt).
3. Gradually add to dry ingredients. Beat at medium speed for 2 min. Add 1/2 cup flour. Beat at high speed for 2 min. Stir in enough more flour to make a soft dough.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead for 5 min. or until smooth and elastic. Put onto oild bowl, turning to oil top. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in warm place for 45 min. or until doubled.
5. Punch down. Turn out onto floured surface. Shape two-thirds of dough into 18 2-inch balls. Arranged on greased baking sheets. Shape remaining dough into 1-inch balls. Put 1 small ball in center of each larger ball. Press down to seal.
6. Let rise in warm place for 20 to 30 min. or until light.
7. Bake at 400°F for 12 to 15 min. or until well browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
©MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.