Cooking time: 45 mins.
Preparation time: 45 mins.
Main cooking utensils: saucepan, 1 to 1 1/2 quart ovenproof bowl
Oven temperature: 350-375°F.
Oven position: center
For 8-10 servings you need:
2 medium cooking apples
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
grated ring and juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter
3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
juice of lemon
3-4 oz. chocolate buttons
1 dessert apple
little lemon juice
1. Peel and core applies and cook with sugar, water, and lemon juice to a thick purée, sieve of beat hard.
2. Cream butter and sugar until soft and light and add grated lemon rind.
3. Beat eggs and lemon juice and beat gradually into butter mixture, adding a little flour if mixture starts to curdle.
4. Stir in rest of sifted flour and apple purée, put into greased ovenproof bowl, and bake until firm to the touch. Cool on wire rack.
5. Cream butter and confectioners’ sugar well, then add lemon juice.
6. Stand cake on cake board on flat plate. Spread little butter frosting over the board to look like snow and cover cake with the remainder.
7. Press chocolate buttons on top, then marshmallows to look like a chimney, make steps of apple kept white by dipping in lemon juice.
TO SERVE: Put piece of cotton onto chimney and stand figures and animals around.
TO STORE: Keeps for 2-3 days only in an airtight container.
Printed in Canada @copy; Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967