Honey Angel Cake
Cooking time: 45 mins.
Preparation time: 45 mins.
Main cooking utensils: 9-nin. ring mold or tube pan, saucepan
Oven temperature: 250°F, increasing to 325-350°F.
Oven position: center
For 8-9 servings you need:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour or 7 tablespoons flour and 1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons sugar
5 3gg whites
scant 1/2 cup clear honey
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Boiled white icing:
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
2 egg whites
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
sprigs of holly
1. Sift the flour or flour and cornstarch 5 times, add the sugar and sift again.
2. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then add the honey, salt, cream of tartar, whisk again until stiff-but not dry.
3. Add vanilla extract, then hold in the flour carefully, a spoonful at a time.
4. Put mixture into ungreased pan, and bake for 35 minutes at the lower temperature, then 10 minutes at the higher one. Test to see if cooked by pressing gently.
5. Leave in pan- inverted over a wire rack, do not try to remove cake from pan while hot.
6. To make the icing, stir sugar and water over steady heat until sugar has dissolved boil until a soft ball, when tested in cold water (238°F), remove from heat and pour steadily onto stiffly whisked egg whites, add vanilla extract. pour over cake and lift in peaks with a knife, when firm decorate with candles and holly.
TO STORE: This cake will keep for several days.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967