Cooking time: 8-10 mins.
Preparation time: 5 mins.
Main cooking utensils: saucepan, bowl or mold
For 4 people you need:
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 1/2 cups milk
2-4 tablespoons sugar
*Flavorings: Add few drops vanilla or other extracts to the milk; add coloring; add rind of a lemon to the milk – do not use the juice otherwise it will curdle: add 2 tablespoons cocoa powder to the cornstarch; add 1 tablespoon coffee extract to the milk or use part coffee and part milk.
1. Put the cornstarch in a bowl and blend with a little cold milk.
2. Bring the rest of the milk to a boil, pour over the blended cornstarch.
3. Return to the saucepan with the sugar and cook until thickened, stirring all the time to keep smooth.
4. Rinse out the bowl or mold with cold water, drain but to not dry – mold is then easier to turn out.
5. Pour in mixture and allow to set.
TO SERVE: Turn out and serve with cream, fruit or with jam.
TO VARY: Use scant 2 cups milk only, thicken then cool slightly, stirring well, then add 2/3 cup coffee or whipping cream.
To make an economical mousse:
Use half the amount of cornstarch. When thickened, add 1 envelope gelatin dissolved in 1/4 cup water (do this in a bowl over hot water), cool. then fold in a little whipped cream and 2 stiffly beaten egg whites.
Printed in Canada. @copy; Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967