Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 mins.
Preparation time: 30 mins.
Main cooking utensils: saucepan, 10-in. pie plate
Oven temperature: 425°F.
Oven position: toward top
For 4 people you need:
6 hard-cooked eggs
1 medium-sized apple
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon curry powder
3/4 cup water
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon tomato paste
or 2 ripe tomatoes
Pie Crust: See Card 5*
egg or milk
1. Halve eggs, peel and chop onion and apple.
2. Melt fat, fry onion until pale gold.
3. Stir in flour and curry powder and cook until it bubbles, add water, stir till smooth.
4. Add remaining ingredients, except eggs.
5. Cover, simmer for 30 minutes, allow to cool.
6. Make pie crust, line pie plate with half.
7. Place eggs, cut side down, on dough.
8. Spread cold curry sauce over and between eggs.
9. Cover pie with remainder of dough, press edges together to seal, press up with back of knife, press into flutes.
10. Brush top with beaten egg or milk, decorate with leaves of dough.
11. Bake in 425° oven for 25-30 minutes.
TO SERVE: Hot with vegetables or cold with salad
TO VARY: Omit the apple – add a diced carrot instead.
TO STORE: In a cool place if serving cold.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons shortening
approximately 2 tablespoons cold water
Sift the flour and salt, rub in the shortening, and mix to a rolling consistency with the cold water.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 11967