Cooking time: 1 3/4 hours
Preparation time: 15 mins
Main cooking utensils: skillet, casserole
Oven temperature: 325-350°F
Oven position: Center
For 4-6 people you need:
2 lb lamb rib chop
3 tablespoons oil
1 large onion
1 small can carrots
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2/3 cup white wine
2/3 – 1 1/4 cups stock or water and chicken bouillon cube seasoning
1/4 cup stuffed olives
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1. Fry the chops in oil until brown on both sides.
2. Place in a casserole, and fry the sliced onion.
3. Add this to the casserole with the quartered tomatoes, drained carrots, tomato paste, wine, stock, and seasoning.
4. Cover and cook for 1 3/4 hours.
5. Add the olives and heat through for 5 minutes before serving.
TO SERVE: Thicken the liquid with the cornstarch blended with the cold water. Serve remainder of the bottle of wine at the table.
TO VARY: This combination of flavors could be used for veal or pork chops.
TO STORE: In the refrigerator; reheat thoroughly.
NOTE: If using fresh carrots, these should be sliced to make certain they are tender by the time the meat is cooked. Loin chops can be used in the place of rib chops.
Printed in Canada © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967