6 large green peppers (about 2 1/2 lb)
2 tablespoons margarine, melted
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 can (1 lb) tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 lb ground chuck
1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
1. Cut off tops of peppers; remove ribs and seeds. Chop edible portion of tops; set aside. Wash peppers.
2. Place peppers in large kettle with 2 quarts salted water. Bring to boiling; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Drain peppers; set aside.
3. In hot margarine in medium skillet, sauté chopped green pepper, onion and celery, 3 to 5 minutes, until tender.
4. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano, 1 1/2 teapoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350F.
6. Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, combing egg, remaining salt and pepper, and Worcestershire. Beat with spoon to blend.
7. Add chuck, rice, and 1 cup of tomato mixture, mixing well.
8. Stuff peppers with meat mixture. Place in 3-quart casserole. Pour remaining tomato mixture over peppers.
9. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour.
Makes 6 servings.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co., All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.