Quick and economical, these squares are as delicious as they are hearty and satisfying.
For 4 servings you will need:
3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 lb pork sausage meat
1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce
1 tsp. instant minced onion
2 Tbsp. water
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves, crumbled
12 thin triangles of Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
For 2 servings:
Half of the ingredients. Use a 1-quart baking dish.
For 8 servings:
Double the ingredients. Use 2 baking dishes.
1. In a saucepan, combine rice and boiling water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 min. or until rice is tender (do not add salt). Drain, if necessary.
2. Crumble sausage meat into large skillet. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Drain fat and discard but add 1 Tbsp. to the spaghetti sauce.
3. Mix onion and cold water. Let stand for 2 or 3 min. to reconstitute. Stir in rice, sausage, eggs and seasoned salt.
4. Pack mixture into ungreased shallow 8-inch square baking dish, smoothing top. Spread with spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with oregano.
5. Bake at 400° F for 20 min. Arrange cheese triangles in a pattern on top. Bake 5 min longer. Cut into 4 squares and serve hot.
Good served with: Peas and a tomato and lettuce salad.
© MCMXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.