Cooking time: 2 1/4 hours
Preparation time: 20 mins.
Main cooking utensils: 1-quart ovenproof dish, deep baking pan
Oven temperature: 300-325°F
Oven position: center
For 6-12 servings you need:
3 bay leaves
4 slices bacon
1 lb pork liver
1/2 lb fat back
3 tablespoons fine semolina flour
2 cloves garlic
pinch mixed herbs
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1-2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons brandy
1. Grease the dish thoroughly.
2. Arrange the bay leaves in the bottom of the dish in the center
3. Line the dish with bacon
4. Grind or chop liver and fat back finely.
5. Add beaten egg, fine semolina, finely chopped garlic, herbs, mace, pepper, salt, and brandy.
6. Blend together well and turn into prepared dish.
7. Stand dish in a larger baking pan of hot water.
8 Cover with lid on aluminum foil.
9. Bake in a slow oven until firm.
TO SERVE: Allow to cool, turn out, and serve with hot toast and butter or a salad.
TO VARY: Use calf liver, add 2-3 chopped gherkins and little chopped onion at stage 5.
TO STORE: Melt a little butter, pour over pate to prevent drying. Pate will keep some time in a refrigerator, so it is worth making a large quantity.
©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967