2 cans (4-oz size) green chiles, drained
1 lb Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated
1 lb Cheddar cheese, coarely grated
4 egg whites
4 egg yolks
2/3 cup canned evaporated milk
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Remove seeds from chiles, and dice.
2. in large bowl, combine grated cheese and green chiles. Turn into well-buttered, shallow, 2 quart casserole (12-by-8-by-2 inches).
3. In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat egg whites just until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
4. In small bowl, with electric mixer, combine egg yolks, milk, flour, salt, and pepper; mix until well blended.
5. Using rubber scraper, gently fold beaten whites into egg yolk mixture.
6. Pour egg mixture over cheese mixture in casserole; with fork, “ooze” it through the cheese.
7. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and arrange sliced tomatoes, overlapping, around edge of casserole. Bake 30 minutes longer, or until silver knife inserted in center comes out clean. Garnish with sprinkling of chopped green chiles, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.