1 can (3 1/2 oz) flaked coconut
1 1/4 cups light raisins
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped candied cherries
1 2/4 cups cubed candied pineapple
2/3 cup coarsely chopped pitted dates
1 cup dried currants
1 jar (8 oz) diced mixed candied fruit
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
1 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
3/4 cup coarsely chopped blanched almonds
2 3/4 cups sifted* all-purpose flour
3/4 cup butter or regular margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1. Lightly oil 10-inch tube pan. Line bottom and sides with heavy brown wrapping paper; lightly oil paper.
2. In very large bowl, toss coconut, fruits, and nuts until well mixed. Sift 1/4 cup flour over them; toss, coating evenly.
3. Preheat oven to 275F. In large bowl of electric mixer, at medium speed, cream butter until light. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
4. Add salt. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition; beat until very light and fluffy. At low speed, alternately blend in remaining flour (in fourths) and orange juice (in thirds), beginning and ending with flour.
5. Pour batter over fruit-nut mixture. With hands, mix until fruits and nuts are evenly distributed through batter.
6. Turn into prepared pan, packing lightly. Bake 3 hours, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan; peel off paper. Decorate as desired. Makes 7-pound cake.
*Sift before measuring.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.