1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 pkg (5 3/4 ox) fluffy white frosting mix
1/4 cup maraschino-cherry juice
10 animal crackers
Pastel-color jelly beans
Cardboard circle, 3 1/4 inches in diameter, covered with yellow construction paper
6 colored candy sticks
1 name flag made of pink construction paper
8 pink or white candles
1. Prepare cake batter as package label directs. Preheat oven as directed. Make cake following instructions for 2 (9-inch) layers. Cool in pans, 10 minutes.
2. To turn out of pans, carefully run spatula or paring knife around edge of pan, to loosen cake. Invert over wire rack; shake gently; lift off pan. Let cool completely.
3. Prepare frosting mix, following directions on package. Measure 1/4 cup maraschino-cherry juice from bottle of cherries; use juice in frosting for half the water called for.
4. Place a cake layer on serving plate. With spatula, spread about 1/3 cup frosting. Place second layer on top. Frost cake all over top and around side, with rest of frosting.
5. Place animal crackers around side of cake as pictured.
6. Decorate side of cake with jelly beans and wafers.
7. Measure cardboard, and cut out circle. Cover with yellow paper. Insert candy sticks in circle. Cover with yellow paper. Insert candy sticks in circle, the arrange candy sticks in frosting, to make it look like a tent.
8. Attach name flag to toothpicks with glue, then stick flag into center of cardboard circle. Insert candles.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing. Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.