1 pkg (18 1/2oz) yellow cake mix
1 pkg (3 1/4 oz) vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can (3 1/2 oz) flaked coconut
3 3gg whites
1/3 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Prepare cake batter. Bake as label directs in 2 (9-by-1/2-inch) layer cake pans; cool. Make Filing: Make pudding as label directs, using 1 1/2 cups milk.
2. Pour into medium bowl; place waxed paper directly on surface. Refrigerate until well chilled – at least 2 hours.
3. In small bowl, combine heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. With portable electric mixer, beat at medium speed just until stiff. Fold into pudding with 3/4 cup coconut. Refrigerate.
4. Make Frosting: In top of double boiler, combine egg whites, corn syrup, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar. Cook over boiling water (water should not touch double-boiler top), beating with portable mixer until soft peaks form when beater is raised – about 4 minutes.
5. Remove from boiling water. Beat 2 minutes, until thick.
6. To assemble: With sharp knife, split layers to make 4. Place layer, cut side up, on plate; spread with one-third of filling. Top with second layer, cut side down; spread with one-third of filling. Add third layer, cut side up; spread filling. Top with last layer.
7. Frost cake; sprinkle with rest of coconut. Refrigerate. Serves 10.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.