3/4 cup sugar
3 envelopes unflavored gelatine
3 cups hot strong coffee
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Custard Sauce (below), or light cream
1. In a 2 quart saucepan, combine water and gelatine; mix well. Add coffee and 1 1/3 cups water.
2. Heat, stirring, until gelatine and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.
3. Pour into 4 1/2 cup mold. Refrigerate until firm enough to unmold, 6 hours or overnight.
4. To unmold: Run small spatula around edge of mold; invert over serving platter; shake gently to release. If necessary place a hot, damp dishcloth over mold; shake again.
5. Serve with Custard Sauce or light cream.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
1 1/2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In top of double boiler, over direct heat, slowly heat milk, just until bubbles form around edge of pan.
2. With wire whisk, beat yolks with sugar and salt, to mix well. Slowly beat hot milk into egg yolk mixture.
3. Pour back into top of double boiler, and place over simmering water (water in lower part should not touch upper part). Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until thin coating forms on metal spoon.
4. Immediately pour custard into bowl. Place sheet of waxed paper directly on the surface. Let cool 20 minutes.
5. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate until well chilled.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.