6-lb fully cooked bone-in half ham
3lb potatoes, pared and thinly sliced
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
2 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons honey or corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Wipe ham with damp paper towels. Place ham on rack in shallow roasting pan.
2. Bake, uncovered, 1 1/4 hours.
3. Place potatoes, onions and 2 teaspoons salt in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to boiling and boil gently 5 minutes; or until potatoes are just tender. Drain.
4. Melt butter in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add flour, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and paprika, and stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to gentle boil, stirring constantly; boil gently 3 minutes. Set sauce aside.
5. Remove ham from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400°. Mix brown sugar, honey, and mustard; pat mixture on ham. Insert meat thermometer in center of ham, away from bone.
6. Place ham in center of 3-quart, shallow baking dish or shallow casserole. Spoon drained potato mixture around ham. Pour sauce over potato mixture. Sprinkle potatoes with paprika.
7. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 130° and sauce is bubbling.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved. Printed in U.S.A.