This particular cucumber salad originated in Europe but it almost as popular in our country. A delight for a weight-watcher since cucumbers are very low in calories.
For 4 servings you will need:
3 cucumbers, about 8 inches each
2 Tbsp. salt
1 cup natural yogurt or sour cream
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice or 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper or freshly ground pepper
Chopped fresh chives, dill or parsley for garnish, optional.
1. Wash and peel cucumbers, Cut into wafer-thin slices. Put into a bowl.
2. Sprinkle with salt. Cover and let stand in refrigerator for about 30 min.
3. Rinse cucumber in very cold water, preferably with some ice cubes. Drain. Chill again.
4. Meanwhile mix yogurt or sour cream with lemon juice or vinegar.
5. Place cucumber in serving bowl. Top with yogurt mixture. Sprinkle with lemon pepper or ground pepper. Garnish with chives, dill or parsley, if you like.
Tips: When buying always look for firm, crisp and well shaped cucumbers with a bright green color.
For 2 servings: Half of the ingredients
For 8 servings: Double the ingredients
©MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.
1 (2-pound) lobster (1 pound with shell removed)
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
1 tablespoon chives
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
With cleaver, chop lobster in half lengthwise, through the shell. Remove innards. Split claws. Place lobster, meat side up, on heat-proof platter. Combine bouillon, chives, lemon juice and salt; pour over lobster. Cover and steam on rack over boiling water, until shell is bright red, about 15 minutes. Serve with Seafood Dip Sauce (see recipe below). Makes 2 dinner servings.
Seafood Dip Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Combine soy sauce and mustard. Makes 2 servings, about 1/4 cup each.
Copyright © Weight Watchers International, Inc. 1974. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.
1 can (16 ounces) French-style green beans, drained
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cans (5 ounces each) boned chicken
1 package (8 ounces) chow mein noodles
In saucepan on grill, heat beans, soup and chicken. Serve hot chicken mixture over noodles. 4 to 6 servings.
2 jars (4 2/3 ounces each) orange-flavored instant breakfast drink
1 jar (2 ounces) instant tea
1/2 cup sugar
2 packages (.15 ounce each) presweetened lemon soft drink mix
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
Mix all ingredients; store in tightly covered container. To serve, measure 1 teaspoon mix into cup; fill with boiling water.
- A length of clothesline to string between two trees.
- Clothespins for hanging jackets, towels and drawstring bags full of equipment – and to weight the edge of the tablecloth on windy days.
- Insulated hot and cold food containers. (North woods campers will bury a cooler in the ground and cover it with pine boughs to keep it cool.)
©Copyright 1971 by General Mills, Inc. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.
Heat oven to 450°.
Stir together with fork in bowl to form a soft dough:
2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup cold water
Gently smooth dough into a ball on floured cloth-covered board. Knead 5 times. Roll dough with lightly floured stockinet-covered rolling pin into square, 12×12 inches.
Cut square into 12 equal rectangles by cutting into 4 long strips, then cutting each strip crosswise into rectangles, 4×3 inches.
Wrap each rectangle of dough around 1 frankfurter.
Pinch edge of rectangle into dough to seal. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Serve hot with catsup. 12 servings.
To knead,fold dough in half, then push it down and away from you with the heals of your hands. Turn dough over and repeat. To prevent dough from sticking, cover the board with a pastry cloth or a clean dish towel, tucking the ends under. Sprinkle with a little flour and rub it in well.
@ocpy;Copyright 1971 by General Mills, Inc. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.