Cooking time: 25-30 mins.
Preparation time: 20 mins.
Main cooking utensils: ovenproof dish, saucepan
Oven temperature: 350-375°F
Oven position: center
For 4 people you need:
4 large or 8 small fillets sole
6 oz. white grapes
1 1/2 cups white wine
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
2 egg yolks, optional
2-4 tablespoons cream
few extra grapes
1. Skin fillets; peel and deseed grapes.
2. Place some of the grapes on fillets, fold over; season lightly.
3. Put into the buttered dish, add white wine, and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
4. Life fillets of fish carefully from liquid, save this to add to sauce.
5. Heat butter, stir in the flour, cook for 2-3 minutes then blend in strained wine and add a little milk if necessary to give good 1 1/4 cups. Bring to boil, cook until thickened.
6. When smooth and thickened, add cream beaten with egg yolks and cook gently, without boiling, for 2-3 minutes.
7. Season well, and pour over the fish.
8. Garnish with a few extra grapes and parsley springs.
TO SERVE: With green salad and/or broccoli.
TO VARY: Often the grates are not put into the oven with the fish but added to the sauce to heat. Purple grames may be used – keep the skin on for garnish if wished to give color.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967