Cooking time: 12 mins.
Preparation time: 25 mins.
Main cooking utensils: saucepan, 5-in. soufflé dish, wax paper
For 6-8 servings you need:
2½ tablespoons margarine
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1¼ cups milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 envelope powdered gelatin
⅓ cup water
1 lb. canned or cooked salmon
little anchovy paste
2 medium-sized ripe tomatoes
⅔ cup whipping cream
2 egg whites
wafer-thin cucumber slices
- Tie a double band of wax paper around the outside of a 5 in. soufflé dish, grease lightly with margarine.
- Make white sauce with 2 tablespoons margarine, flour, milk, and seasoning; add lemon juice.
- Dissolve gelatin in hot water, add to sauce, allow to cool, covering with damp paper to prevent a skin forming.
- Stir in flaked salmon, anchovy paste, and tomato purée – made by rubbing the tomatoes through a sieve.
- Allow mixture to stiffen slightly, then fold in lightly whipped cream and the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Put into soufflé dish, allow to set, then carefully remove paper.
- Garnish with small pieces of stuff olive, dill pickle and twists of cucumber.
TO SERVE: With mayonnaise well flavored with lemon juice with Potato salad: Mix cooked diced potato with mayonnaise and chopped scallions or grated onion, and garnish with chopped scallion tops.
PRINTED IN CANADA. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967