Cooking time: see stage 4
Preparation time: 15 mins plus 24 hours soaking in marinade
Main cooking utensil: roasting pan
Oven temperature: 375°F.
Oven position: near top
For 4 people you need:
2 lb lamb loin roast
(other cuts may be used)
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup white wine
1 finely chopped onion
1 finely chopped carrot
1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon or good pinch dried tarragon (optional)
4 bacon slices
1 chopped celery stalk
1 sliced dill pickles
can anchovy fillets
1. Mix together the oil, white wine, onion, carrot, and cloves.
2. Put the lamb in this, leave for 24 hours.
3. Put the lamb into the roasting pan
4. Sprinkle with tarragon and roast for 30 minutes per lb and 30 minutes over.
5. 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the meat from the oven and arrange the bacon slices, celery, dill pickles, and anchovies on top of the meat.
6. Continue cooking at the end of the time life the meat onto a hot dish with the garnish on top.
TO SERVE: Wish mashed potatoes, green vegetables, or peas. Gravy may be made in the usual way, but the meat is moist and full of flavor.
TO VARY: Use vinegar instead of white wine.
Printed in Canada © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967