Preparation time: 10 mins
Main utensils: 4 sundae glasses or small dishes
For 4 servings you need:
small piece of lettuce
2/3 cup mayonnaise
scant 1/4 cup fruit
flavored bottled sauce
small bunch white grapes
1 cup peeled prawns or shrimp
2 fairly thick lemon slices
*If using frozen prawns or shrimp allow to defrost at room temperature. to hasten the process put the package of frozen prawns or shrimp in cold water – NOT hot.
1. Wash the lettuce, shake dry and shred finely. this is important as the cocktails are served with a small teaspoon and small fork and the lettuce is difficult to manage in large pieces.
2. Cut the tomatoes into wafer thin slices, choose tomatoes that are not too large.
3. Blend the mayonnaise and the sauce, add enough of the latter to give a pleasant ‘bite’ to the mixture.
4. Slit the grapes carefully and remove any seeds with the tip of a sharp knife.
5. Put the lettuce and tomatoes into the glasses and top with some of the dressing.
6. Add the grapes, prawns or shrimp, and more dressing.
7. Halve the lemon slices and top each cocktail with half a lemon slice and parsley.
TO SERVE: As cold as possible.
TO VARY: Used diced melon or grapefruit segments instead of grapes.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright The Hamlyn Publishing Group Ltd. 1972.