6 frozen patty shells
2 pairs sweetbreads (2lb)
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/8 teaspoon thyme
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons salad oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
Peel of 1/2 small orange, cut in very fine strips
Peel of 1/2 small lemon, cut in very fine strips
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
3/4 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Bake shells as directed; cool.
2. Place sweetbreads in skillet; cover with water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes. Cool immediately in cold water. Remove membrane and veins.
3. In bottom of 2-quart, shallow baking dish, combine carrots, onions, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves. Arrange sweetbreads on top. Sprinkle with oil and salt. Bake, uncovered, 35 minutes. Remove sweetbreads; cool slightly. In hot butter in skillet, over medium heat, sauté sweetbreads 2 minutes on each side. Add peels.
4. In ladle, heat Grand Marnier slightly. Ignite; pour over sweetbreads. When flame dies, add juices.
5. Cook, stirring, to reduce liquid to one-half. Combine flour with heavy cream; stir into liquid. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring. Serve in warm shells.
Recipe card notes that this recipe originally came from The Rainbow Room in New York.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.