INGREDIENTS:- 1 ½ lbs. prawn (shelled, thin thread of gut removed) Oil for deep frying
Seasoning:- ½ tsp. salt
Batter:- 6 tbsps. flour 4 tbsps. cornstarch 2 tsps. baking powder 2 tbsps salad oil ½ tsp. salt ⅓-½ cup water
METHOD:- 1) Wash prawns with salt water, then rinse again with cold water. Drain, and dry with cloth. 2) First cut 3 slits across the underside of the prawns, then cut a slit at the back of the prawns, removing the thin thread of gut. 3) Season prawns with salt, then dredge with a little flour. 4) Mix batter well and let it stand for 30 minutes. 5) Dip prawns in batter, then deep fry in hot oil (370F) until golden brown. Serve hot with Worcestershire sauce or catsup.
½ cup crab meat (2 crabs, weighing about 1 lb) 2 slices ginger, (2 stalks spring onion) 6 egg whites 1 ¼ cups milk 3 tbsps cornflour 1 oz cooked ham (finely chopped) 1 oz vermicelli Oil for deep frying (lard for better results)
Seasoning:- ¾ tsp. salt ½ tsp. monosodium glutamate
Clean crabs and steam with ginger and spring onion for 20 minutes. Pound to crush shell, extract all the crab meat from crabs.
Mix milk with cornflour and egg whites, stir well and add in seasoning and crab meat.
Deep fry vermicelli in hot oil until crispy; place on dish.
Deep fry crab meat batter in very warm oil (150F), push it gently with spatula until it curdles. Drain pour over crispy vermicelli, sprinkle with finely chopped ham. Serve hot.
One fish (about 1 1/2 lb; use either yellow fish or garoupa)
2 tbsps oil
Oil for deep frying
Seasoning for fish:-
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. glutamate
1 tbsp. cornflour
1 1/2 tbsps. dry sherry
Sweet and sour sauce:-
1/3 cup white vinegar
3 tbsps. tomato sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup diced onions
1 big red pepper (diced)
1 tbsp. cornflour
1 tbsp. oil
1) Wash fish and dry thoroughly with clean cloth
2) Cult slanting slits along the fish.
3) Marinate fish with seasoning.
4) Deep fry fish in hot oil until golden brown. Remove from pan, cool for a few seconds. Fry again for 5-6 minutes (to ensure crispness).
5) While the fish is still deep frying, heat 2 tbsps oil in another pan; add in the diced vegetables and saute for a few seconds. Pour in the sweet and sour sauce mixture; thicken the sauce with cornflour and stir in 1 tbsp oil.
6) Dish out the ready-fried fish and drain off the excess fat. Place on a heated dish and pour sauce over it. Serve hot.