Cooking time: approx. 45 mins.
Preparation time: 25 mins. plus 15 mins. stage 1, 1 -1/2 hours first rising, 30-40 mins. second rising.
Main cooking utensil: oblong cake pan 12 by 7 ins. or 8-in. spring form pan, or cook on flat roasting pan.
Oven temperature: 400-425°F.* Reduce after no mins. if necessary.
For 14 servings you need:
1/2 oz. compressed yeast or 2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
approximately 1 cup tepid water
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup lard, 1/2 cup sugar, 2/3 cup currants, little spice
3 tablespoons sugar mixed with 3 tablespoons water
1. Cream compressed yeast with sugar, add the tepid water, a little flour. Or blend dry yeast with sugar, little liquid, stand until softened, cream, add rest of liquid and little flour.
2. Put in warm place until covered with bubbles, add to sifted flour and salt.
3. Knead thoroughly, cover with dish towel or plastic wrap, allow to rise until double original size.
4. Knead again until smooth, roll out on a floured board to a neat oblong.
5 Put half lard in small pieces over two thirds of dough.
6. Sprinkle with half sugar, fruit and spice, then fold in three, brining the uncovered piece of dough over first.
7. Give half turn, repeat 5 and 6.
8. Turn again, roll to neat oblong, fold, turn, and re-roll.
9. Fold once more then roll out to fit warmed pan; score the top.
10. Cover, allow to rise, bake in center of oven until golden brown, then remove from pan. Test- knock base, cake should sound hollow. Glaze at once.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967