Cooking time: 20 mins.
Preparation time: 30 mins. plus 12 hours to stand
Main cooking utensils: Saucepan, 7- to 8-in. cake and or plain mold
For 6-8 servings you need:
1 lb. gooseberries*
⅔ cup water
⅓ cup sugar
green coloring (optional)
juice of 1 lemon
4 ripe firm pears
8-10 medium thick slices of bread
*To clean the gooseberries, i.e., cut away the stalk and flower ends, use kitchen scissors.
- Clean the gooseberries, simmer with the water and sugar until a smooth thick purée. Color if desired.
- Put the lemon juice into a bowl, add the peeled diced pears, and turn round in the lemon juice (this prevents the pears discoloring).
- Add the pears to the gooseberry purée and mix well; allow to become quite cool.
- Remove the crusts from the bread and line the bottom and sides of the pan or mold with bread slices.
- Spoon the gooseberry and pear mixture into the bread-lined pan or mold.
- Cover with more slices of bread, then put a flat plate or piece of foil on top; add a light weight and leave for 12 hours.
TO SERVE: Turn out and serve with cream or ice cream.
TO VARY: Use any other fruits, e.g., apples and damsons; apples and whole blackberries; mixed berry fruits, etc.
TO STORE: This can be kept several days in a refrigerator or frozen.
PRINTED IN CANADA Copyright The Hamlyn Publishing Group Ltd 1973