Cooking time: few mins. to heat water for aspic.
Preparation time: 20 mins. and time for sauce to stand
Main utensils: palette knife, pastry brush, wire rack
For 4 people you need: 4 portions cooked chicken
2 teaspoons gelatin
1/3 cup very hot water
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1. Trim away skin from chicken, and remove bones if using leg joints.
2. Dissolve the gelatin thoroughly in hot water.
3. Cool slightly, then stir into the mayonnaise and allow to being to thicken VERY SLIGHTLY – do not allow to become too stiff.
4. Stand with chicken on the wire rack with a plate or tray underneath.
5. Spread or brush the half set sauce over the chicken until completely coated – any drips should be spooned up and used.
6. Leave to set, then remove from the wire rack.
TO SERVE: Arrange on a dish with sliced tomato, cucumber, and watercress.
TO VARY: Instead of mayonnaise a very well flavored white sauce can be used. Or use chicken stock in place of the hot water.
Cooked salmon can be coated in the same way, use fish stock instead of water.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967