2/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 lb beef chuck, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 cup salad oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cans (10 1/2 oz size) condensed beef broth, undiluted
1 can (1lb) tomatoes
1 can (6 ox) tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1. On waxed paper, combine flour, salt, and pepper; use to coat beef cubes, Reserve remaining flour mixture
2. In 3 tablespoons hot oil in Dutch oven, brown beef cubes, a third at a time. Remove as they are browned. Add more oil as needed.
3. Add onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic to drippings in Dutch oven; sauté until tender – about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in reserved flour mixture, stirring until well blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, paprika, Worcestershire, and browned beef.
5. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender. Before serving, sprinkle with more chopped parsley, if desired. Serve with rice, broad noodles, or buttered potatoes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.