Cooking time: 40-50 mins.
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensils: skilled, 8-to9-in. plain ring mold, shallow pan or dish for water, 2 saucepans
Oven temperature: 325-350°F.
Oven position: center
For 4-6 people you need:
1 red sweet pepper
1½ cups cooked rice
½ cup butter or margarine
2 medium onions
½ green sweet pepper
1 small clove garlic
1 cup ground beef
6-oz. can concentrated tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 pack frozen peas
1 small can tomato soup
2 chopped hard-cooked eggs
- Cut red pepper into strips and arrange at intervals in the bottom of the ring mold.
- Combine rice and half the melted butter, spoon into mold over pepper.
- Chop onions, green pepper, grind or crush garlic, fry in remaining butter until tender.
- Add ground beef, cook until brown.
- Stir in tomato paste and seasonings.
- Meanwhile, cook the peas, strain, put over the rice, then cover with the beef mixture made in stages 3, 4, and 5. Press each layer firmly.
- Set mold in shallow pan of hot water.
- Bake until quite firm to the touch.
TO SERVE: Turn out onto hot dish. Heat tomato soup, add hard-cooked eggs, and serve separately.
PRINTED IN CANADA. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967