Cooking time: 25-30 mins.
Preparation time: 25 mins
Main cooking utensils: ovenproof dish, saucepan
Oven temperature: 375°F.
Oven position: center
For 4 people you need:
4 fillets sole
1 tablespoon white wine
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1¼ cups fish stock*
1 egg yok
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon butter
8 cooked mussels
8 cooked button mushrooms
- Prepare fish stock by simmering fish skin and trimmings in generous 1¼ cups salted water, add liquid from cooking mussels and mushroom trimmings.
- Fold skinned fillets in two and place in buttered dish, pour over wine, add seasoning and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the fish is opaque.
- Drain well, add liquid to strained fish stock, keep fish warm.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons butter, stir in flour and cook 3 minutes.
- Add fish stock slowly, stirring continuously until smooth, bring to boil, cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Cool, add egg yolk, reheat to thicken sauce but do not boil, add lemon juice, seasoning and whisk in the butter.
- Add mussels and halved mushrooms, and heat gently.
- Arrange fillets on serving dish, pour sauce over, garnish with watercress.
TO SERVE: Hot with mixed vegetables.
TO VARY: Use flounder or whiting
⃰ See stage 1
PRINTED IN CANADA. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967