Cooking time: see Card 28**
Preparation time: 20 mins.
Main cooking utensils: large saucepan, loaf pan or spring form pan
For 8-10 people you need:
3 1/2-4 lb. corned beef
1 beef bouillon cube
1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
1. Soak the beef as Card 28.*
2. Cook as directed, covering with water but omit the carrot and use the 2 onions only.
3. Add bouillon beef cube to water.
4. When cooked lift the meat from the stock, press into loaf pan or spring form pan.
5. Boil the stock in an uncovered pan until only 2/3 cup is left.
6. Soften gelatin in 3 tablespoons cold water, add to stock and strain carefully over the meat.
7. Put a piece of wax paper on top and a weight.
8. Leave until cold, then turn out.
TO SERVE: With a mixed salad.
To salt beef: For a piece of beef approximately 5-6 lb. Boil 20 cups water with 1 1/3 cups salt, 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons saltpeter. Strain into large bowl or pickling jar. Trim discolored parts from meat, wipe, put into cold pickle. Turn daily. Leave in cool place 10-14 days for very salt beef: 5-7 days for mild salt beef.
*Soak the beef overnight in cold water.
Put into fresh cold water, bring to boil, add onion, carrot , bay leaf.
Simmer very gently in covered pan, allowing ** 30 minutes to the lb. and 30 minutes over.
Printed in Canada © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967