Cooking time: 10 mins.
Preparation time: 25 mins.
Main cooking utensils: saucepan, 5-in. soufflé dish
For 4 people you need:
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons made mustard
little cayenne pepper
1 envelope gelatin
1 tablespoon cold water
3 tablespoons boiling water
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1. Prepare the soufflé case by tying a wide band of double wax paper around the outside so it extends above the rip for 2-3 inches.
2. Make the cheese sauce as Card 21.
3. Add the tomato paste, mustard, and cayenne pepper.
4. Soften the gelatin in the cold water, dissolve in the boiling water.
5. Add the egg yolks and dissolved gelatin to the cheese sauce, stirring over gentle heat until it thickens.
DO NOT BOIL.
6. Cool, stir occasionally, and, when almost set, fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
7. Pour into the prepared soufflé case.
8. Set in a cool place.
TO SERVE: Remove paper carefully, drawing it back and helping it with the blade of a knife. Garnish with cucumber fans(see photograph) and a sprig of parsley, and serve with a salad.
Serve instead of a dessert or as a light luncheon dish.
TO VARY: Omit the tomato paste.
TO STORE: In a refrigerator.
Cheese sauce: Heat butter or margarine in a pan. Remove from heat. Stir in flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring well until dry. Remove from heat. Gradually blend in liquid. Bring to boil, stirring well, and season. Add grated cheese to the very hot sauce. Cook gently for 1-2 minutes only.
PRINTED IN CANADA. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn, Ltd. 1967