Cooking time: 15 mins.
Preparation time: 25 mins.
Main cooking utensils: large saucepan, 9-in. ring mold
For 8 servings you need:
8 dessert apples
2 1/2 cups water
juice of 2 lemons
grated ring of 2 lemons
1/4 cup sugar
2 packages lemon-flavored jello
3/4-1 cup cream cheese
1/2-3/4 cup blanched almonds
slices dessert apple
squeeze lemon juice
1. Peel and core apples, cut into neat pieces, save few pieces of peel.
2. Put water, lemon juice, rind and sugar into pan, bring to boil.
3. Put pieces of apple into this syrup and poach very gently for 10 minutes.
4. Lift out the apples, and strain the syrup.
5. Measure and add enough water to give a good 3 1/2 cups.
6. Reheat, dissolve the lemon jellos in this liquid.
7. Pour very thin layer of jello into the mould, allow to set, arrange some of the apple pieces and thin strips of peel on this and cover with cold liquid jello. Leave to set.
8. Continue like this until mold is filled.
9. Split the almonds and brown for a minute under the broiler.
10. Mold cheese in balls and coat with the almonds.
TO SERVE: Dip mold in hot water for 30 seconds, turn out, and fill with cheese balls; decorate with apple slices dipped in lemon juice.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967